Search My posts

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Auditions and espresso explination

Hello and happy Tuesday!

I guess I always seem to start my posts with happy (blank)day, but hey, I like to be happy, what is wrong with that? ;]

Today were auditions in band for next year to figure out what band (we have 3) we will go into. I wasn't really planning on doing band next year (I'm still not sure if I want to) mainly because of my inconsiderate, rude, etc. etc. teacher... But I decided to audition anyway to keep my scheduling options open for next year. I tried out for trumpet, and I played trombone this year, but I am just really getting bored with trombone...I have been playing for like 5 years now, and I am tired of bass lines!

I got a comment from Maddi yesterday asking about how I make my coffee, and I realised that I never have shown you all the complete process. So here it is!

Here is my set-up. On the left is
the espresso machine, with the grinder next
to it, then my knock box for old coffee,
and my fresh roasted coffee on the scale!So, to begin, I grind 14-18g of coffee and pour
it into this, called the portafilter. Then I tamp it
down to make it smooth and compact.Next, I put the portafilter back into the machine
and turn on the pump. Then the extraction takes
25-30 seconds, and goes through this progressionYou need to turn off the pump when it starts to
get lighter like this^^ This is the result! A shot of espresoNow, if it is really good I will drink it like this.
Sometimes however, I prefer to add steamed milk ;]
You shouldn't be able to see bubbles in it, it is
called microfoam when it is done correctly,
and it looks about like wet paint :D

Then I pour it into my espresso. Today I made a
macchiato, which has only a bit of milk. A cappuccino
has a bit more (about 1/3 espresso 1/3 milk and 1/3 foam)
and a latte has the most

It looks complicated, but I promise it isn't that hard! It is pretty easy to do, but to do right that is a different story! I have yet to get the so called "God shot" Hope that clears up some questions out there :] Oh and by the way, Also like to make americano, which is just espresso and hot water. I make this for my dad quite a bit. I have never gotten a picture because it just isn't as pretty ;] Still tasty though!!



I also wanted to let you all know about Stef's first give-away of two cookbooks! over at her blog, More to Life than Lettuce! So sorry for the late notice :/

7 comments:

  1. This was so cool! :D u are so cool. ok i said "cool" like 2 times, lol, but this is awesome how u made that macchiato! loved this post!

    <3 maya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post!!!!!! i love coffee - have it every morning - i use a Keurig!!!! have a great night - aimee

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the shoutout!! good luck in the giveaway :) love the step by step pics, i wish icould still drink coffee daily!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that coffee process is A) complex, and B) amazing! I love LOVE coffee, and amazingly, I've never had espresso. But wow. That's like an art. I swear. And that cup of joe looked downright gourmet. You are on special cookie!
    ♥Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love coffee- can't drink it without milk though. I like adding cinnamon to the beans.

    Nothing wrong with being happy :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing Scott! :D That is pretty awesome, I wish I had a coffee maker like that! hehehe, I liked this post a lot! :) Have a great week!
    Maddi xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scott!
    I start my posts the same too haha ;D you are so crazy talented Scott, athletic AND musical!? You're amazing.
    And p.s. you have coffee making skills! I've always wanted an espresso maker - so awesome! love my coffee

    Have a great day Scott, hope all is well!
    amanda

    ReplyDelete