Search My posts

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Nebo ride and a tricky question

Hello all!

First I will update you all on yesterday sound good? The only major thing that happened in school was I gave my presentation in health over ED's! I was nervous, especially because my partner was really upset from her class before :/ It went really well though and i think we portrayed the disease in a very clear light so I was really happy :) And I got my homework done in band so it was a good day for me =D

Then I got home from school, and I found an email from the owner of the bike shop I interviewed at. He said he wanted me to work there, and he would pay $8 an hour. Great!! But then I realized that I will be moving over the summer :/ So I told him I would love to work for him until then, but I would understand if it wouldn't work out...

So today, I had extra time in engineering today and I got to look up some cycling teams in Arizona. I found quite a few, and one that is a U23 team (under 23 years old) that is sponsored and looks so awesome. I am going to apply tomorrow :]

Lunch was a tofu and avocado sammie! Yummy!!

In Chemistry I got a quiz back and I did OK (79) I was pretty happy because chem is SO hard!! The only really interesting thing that happened was that my friend B saw me eating a few food should taste good chips left over from my lunch, and asked what they were. I told her what they were and let her have one. Then we got talking about trader joes and stuff, and she asked me how I got to like eating so healthy. I was like "....um...... It is a long story." She wanted me to tell her but I don't know what to say! I told her I would think about it. Ya, awkward, but i didn't know what to do! I can't just be like "oh yeah, I had an eating disorder for the past year and a half" and then just stop talking! What would you do?

Then NEBO training ride tonight! (Nebo Ridge is the name of the bike shop it starts from.) I felt so awesome today! I rode with G again, and it was so much fun! I ended up in the front group of like 12, and we started out with around 50 riders. I was so happy because I think they all had to be at least cat 2-3. It was exhilarating!! I got another comment from one of my teammates. He said that I have made some major gains (performance) over the past two years. WOW! He is such a strong rider, so for him to say that, I was really happy :]

overall today was a good day for me. I hope you all have a Wonderful Wednesday!!

Scott

4 comments:

  1. I am thrilled that your day went so well! it would be amazing if all of those events worked out: the job, the AZ team... looks like things are looking hopeful for your future!
    I have gotten comments like that before, and I typically tell some of the truth. For example, I often say, "I just make sure to eat my 'healthy' foods first and foremost because I want to live a long time. It's nice to be flexible too, though." Sometimes I throw in something about my love for chocolate in there, haha, but that's my personal fettish ;)
    Afterall, so many people (even nonED) focus on nourishing themselves properly, especially if they live an active lifestyle. No need to spill the ED story at that time, unless you prefer.
    Keep up the positivity! Bright things ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo that is a tricky question... I'm not really that open with people about my ED, but the topic doesn't come up that often. You could just tell people that you have an interest in health and nutrition to improve your biking? No one would question that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a good day! Congrats on the job- and the team in AZ! Let us know how that works out!

    I can see why that would be a hard conversation to have...do you know her? Do you trust her? I guess you could think of it like this: you are moving soon and never need to see these guys ever again if you don't want to. You could, theoretically, use this time to bust the myths and stigmas surrounding eating disorders. Or just say that a relative had a health scare and your family are all into healthy living now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It can be awkward but only if you make it so. You don't have to be, but I'm always honest and upfront about my eating disorder. I think it's kind of a taboo topic, or at least (like you said) really awkward to talk about. Why??! It's nothing to be ashamed of. In that situation I might say something like, "I'm a recovered anorexic so now I don't like to take my body for granted. I eat the things I like and what makes me feel good, and I really like these chips. Want to try one?" It's casual and shows that you're not hiding anything, without disclosing so much that it makes the other person uncomfortable. They are free to ask more questions if they want, but they don't have to without the conversation turning awkward. Just a thought. ;)
    So cool about the U23!
    Lucie
    P.S. Have you gotten your package yet?? :)

    ReplyDelete